Sunday, October 2, 2016

St. Marks and the "Forgotten Coast" of Florida

Last Thursday I traveled to Tallahassee to visit a friend and go shoot. We drove to St. Marks and then west to Carrabelle, exploring a number of state parks and access points to the Gulf within the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge.

Inside the city of St. Marks is San Marcos de Apalache Historic State Park. This little-known park has some nice views of the St. Marks and Wakulla Rivers. I had a new 4x5 camera I wanted to test - a Sinar Handy. This camera is easy to use and is somewhat meant for handheld shooting, but for landscape it is quick and easy to setup, which is nice. I used a 65mm f/8 Super Angulon to shoot these images at "Tucker's Point" - the confluence of the two rivers I mentioned:



We also went to some of the boat ramps and Gulf access points within the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge. Here are some images, this time in fact handheld, some with my 6x12 back attached to the Sinar:


 

Finally, we went into the woods at the Aucilla WMA and I took two more photos:



The clouds this day weren't in our favor but I enjoyed shooting anyway, and got a few nice shots I think. The Sinar was a joy to use. This area of Florida is quite nice, but I had not really explored it extensively when I lived in the south GA area. Perhaps I will find some time to further photograph some of the interesting small towns and such another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment