Sunday, February 19, 2017

Water and Movement (Amicalola Creek)

I went to Amicalola Creek a couple of times last week and shot on the rocks. I took some long exposures as well as some shorter ones:






The above images were taken with my Chamonix 45n1 and 90mm, 150mm, or 240mm lenses, some with a 6x12 back. After this I found a wonderfully swirly area near the bank and took this image both on 4x5 and 6x12 (with 90mm and then 58mm):

 

I explored the smaller side pool closer up next:


I really liked this area so I came back the next day and shot some more here with my Linhof 70:



And finally, utilizing that little pool with swirling water, I made a "tri-color" image using 3 shots with 3 colored filters (R/G/B). Combined in Photoshop and put into each color channel created this image:


Yes, this is black and white film, but creating color, same as was done by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky in Russia about a century ago. I've done this a couple of times utilizing moving water and I would like to build a body of work using this technique, but it is difficult to find the right conditions and subject (and many times I don't necessarily have the materials and filters to do it when photographing).

This location is very nice and I am looking forward to shooting more here in the spring and summer by getting in the water and finding new perspectives.

2 comments:

  1. I got here from your Valdosta blog. From Thomasville, I moved to ATL, then Athens and different places around Commerce, so many of your photos seem familiar to me. I'm not sure what it's like these days, but you might find suitable conditions for "creating color" at High Shoals (outside Athens). In the late 70s, early 80s I went nearly every weekend...there was an awesome stone biker bar with a great jukebox and we'd "ski" down the falls. The large, flat slippery rocks (shoals) were perfect for sliding down the falls. Most people used them like a waterslide, but a crazy few of us (show-offs 😉) went down standing. What a rush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! I'll have to check out High Shoals. I have not explored much of the greater Athens area.

    ReplyDelete