Thursday, November 24, 2016

Lake Lanier, Drought

My parents live right near Lake Lanier, and the lake extends so far north that I am also only 30 minutes away from many access points. Lately we've had a terrible drought and so the lake right now is almost 10 feet below its normal level, making things a bit more interesting.

First though, I spent some time at the lake last week on the evening of the "Super Moon." In truth it makes very little difference size-wise but I did take the opportunity to try making a more unique image. I shot this photo with my Linhof Technika and 75mm Biogon on Portra 160:


This exposure was over 2 hours long. The moon appears higher than the horizon because the sky was so dense with smoke that you couldn't see it till it was that high. It also made the whole sky hazy. I like the way it turned out.

I made a few other images but here's one more, a shorter exposure of just the moon out of focus in the tree:


This morning I went out to another part of the park right at dawn. I shot a bit of 4x5 and medium format. I found a small park and boat ramp that was near some islands and due to the low water level actually had land bridges to these islands. The exposed rocks and dead trees / driftwood made for some interesting photographic material:

Here you can see the path of land going to what was an island. I am standing near where the shore used to be, past those trees a bit:


I walked to the island and shot some with my Rolleiflex "Old Standard" (K2) from around 1933:





And finally, here's two more from 4x5:



No comments:

Post a Comment