Thursday, September 15, 2016

Hawk Mountain and Hickory Flats Cemetery (9/14/16)

Back on the trail this week, I hiked along Hawk Mountain to Hickory Flats cemetery (parked at Hightower Gap) and made it almost to Three Forks (that's next on the list).

It was a very enjoyable hike and pretty mild. I hiked about 8 miles in and out with my Chamonix 4x5 and a few lenses, as well as my Bessa L. The first shot from the day was definitely my best (an unusual thing for me). This was taken with my Schneider 58mm XL and a polarizer:


This was in a beautiful backlit field of ferns along a ridge just a 1/4 mile or so past the Hawk Mountain Shelter that glowed in the afternoon sun. I need to return here and spend some more time off-trail and find some more interesting scenes.

A bit further on the trail I found a sunlit webworm nest right over the trail that I just had to try shooting. I didn't quite get the "feel" right. I'll try again next time and see if I can get more of the feeling of intense light that I saw there. These both were with a 150mm f/9 G-Claron lens:


I also tried to capture the glinting light off mica embedded in this rock on the trail:


Eventually I found myself at the Hickory Flats Cemetery - it was very quiet and peaceful there. To conclude, here's a few 35mm images from the trail and cemetery, with either my Voigtlander 15mm or Nikkor 28mm rangefinder lenses:




1 comment:

  1. I'll be in Dahlonega, GA and hope to go to Hickory Flats as I have a ggggrandmother buried there. Is this an easy place to find and can cars go up there?

    ReplyDelete